Direct Line: (425) 213-1107
Phone: (425) 646-4020
Fax: (206) 728-0935
Published Works: View
As President of 1031 Services, Inc., Mary has been involved in thousands of exchanges as attorney and intermediary. She frequently lectures before CPAs, attorneys, and other professional groups on the topic of tax-deferred exchanges. She is co-author of Tax Free Exchanges Under §1031, a comprehensive treatise on Section 1031 exchanges, published by Thomson Reuters/West Publishing. Mary enjoys working on day to day exchange matters as well as structuring creative and complex exchange transactions.
She received her B.A. from the University of Michigan with honors in economics (1981) and her J.D. from Boalt Hall, University of California, Berkeley, where she was a member of Order of the Coif (1984). Prior to joining the company in 1996, she was a partner with the Seattle law firm of Tousley Brain Stephens.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association (ABA) Tax Section Committee on Sales, Exchange and Basis (past Chair)
- Member of the Washington State Bar Association Tax Section
- Past President and former Board Member of the Federation of Exchange Accommodators (FEA)
- Member, American College of Tax Counsel
- Member, Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
In addition, Mary is active in federal legislative and administrative efforts related to IRC §1031 on behalf of the ABA Tax Section and the FEA. She frequently meets with senior staff with the IRS National Office on exchange matters.
Mary is a contributing author to the following publications:
- Real Estate Taxation
- New York University School of Professional Studies
- Journal of Accountancy
- Tax Management Memorandum
- Journal of Passthrough Entities
- Business Law Journal
- The Journal of Real Estate Taxation
- The Practical Tax Lawyer
Mary is co-chairman of and has participated as a speaker in an annual, three-day seminar on advanced issues in like-kind exchanges since 1996
Visit Seminar Website
She also lectures for the ABA Tax Section, State Bar Associations and CPA Societies, the New York University School of Professional Studies, the FEA, and other seminar providers.
For a list of upcoming speaking engagements and seminars, please visit our Events page.